Monday, March 22, 2010

Garden Party

This year we are growing a vegetable garden. We're lucky to have the expertise of my parents, who are humans disguised as expert gardeners. My father built us a first class garden (cypress exterior, swing door with lock to keep out the really smart deer.) Then we had a special blend of dirt delivered. It's a combination of compost, cedar, which oxidizes the dirt and a bunch of other really good stuff. Next steps included laying down newspaper (black & white only) then alfalfa hay to help the roots find their way to the ground and well, root. Apparently with vegetables you want the roots to grow deep and the vines to grow high.

Our crop will include lettuce, peppers, squash, zucchini, tomatoes, eggplants, pole beans and cucumbers. CityCrab has requested a watermelon. I probably should caveat this by saying I do not have a green thumb. In fact, I'm a plant killer. But with the help of some very knowledgeable resources, I know we can do this.

As promised here are some pics:





No comments: