Sunday, June 06, 2010

Grilled Corn


This item has gained some popularity in recent years. I first tasted it at Cafe Habana in NYC circa 1999. It was delicious and I instantly became obsessed with it. Like many other things I have eaten, I tried to replicate but without real culinary knowledge, I was lost. Fortunately for me in 2002, The New York Times Magazine posted a recipe for it. Over the years, we have perfected our own version of it. We can't always find the right ingredients and regular sour cream can be substituted for Mexican sour crema, however, no other cheese can replace cotija. I wouldn't even attempt it with parmesan. But, I am grilled corn snob. And, if I can find cotija in South Carolina, then most of you should have no problem. Here is the recipe - it serves 4, but you can easily make this corn a meal, in my opinion.

Shuck 4 ears of corn.
Place on hot grill turning to be sure that all sides of corn get grilled. Remove when some kernels are black and others are bright yellow.
Let cool.

Once cool, lather with sour cream.
Then dust each cob with cotija.
Sprinkle cayenne pepper on one side and serve with limes. The key to the limes is to squeeze before biting into the corn to experience the taste explosion.

No comments: