Sunday, April 01, 2012

Ktichen Itchin'

I love cooking gadgets. I love things I don't need or plan to use once and have to have. If you open the numerous drawers in my kitchen (for some reason I have a lot of drawer space), they are loaded to the top with gadgets. OK, fine, I give....they are loaded with crap. Items like mutliple mushroom brushes for the two sizes of mushrooms I never clean. And, a cheese grater, a cheese slicer and a microplane, because one can never have enough cheese and ways to prepare it. I have a handheld frother and a candy thermometer. I have never made candy but, you never know. Recently, there was an article about this. Gadgets and tools that people buy with the best of intentions but never end up using. There's a therapy niche somewhere for some smart, enterprising shrink. My issue goes beyond gadgets. I have a Ron Popeil rotisserie oven (it was wedding gift). I have drinking glasses that go on for days. I have red wine goblets and white wine chalices and beer steins (only four) and cocktail tumblers and juice glasses and an array of sippy cups, because CityBaby couldn't decide which sippy cup would work before he abandoned them all for two cent drinking straws. I have a rice cooker that also steams vegetables and a vegetable steamer that also cooks rice. I also am the proud owner of a Magic Bullet. Now you can't say I am a culinary snob. And, just to prove that I am not over my addiction, just this week I ordered a pineapple corer. We don't eat that much pineapple but on the rare occasion, I find it a mess to peel and forever to cut. Now, to decide what to do with the two minutes I saved.......

No comments: