Sunday, April 18, 2010

From the Shelf

Here's my update since my last book post.

The Rabbi's Wife by Reva Mann: riveting, read it in 2 days. Literally could not put it down. I read it everywhere even at stop lights. Rabbi's daughter grows awry then goes back, then settles soemwhere in the middle.

Queen Takes King by Gigi Levangie - not my proudest literary moment but a nice break from something as intense as The Rabbi's Wife. Screams beach read.

Marry Him: The Case for Settling for Mr. Good Enough by Lori Gottlieb - Oy what a book! Gottlieb got a lot of press a few years ago when she wrote the article that is the basis for this book. It's non-fiction and is an argument for overlooking flaws in men and marrying them despite their shortcomings. I ripped through this in about 4 days (it took some time to digest in between readings). I would not reccomend buying this book since there isn't anything in here that no one has heard before but if you can hget it froim your library or buy it used on amazon, it's an interesting read.

The Help by Kathryn Stockett - I already blogged about this one. It's worth every period, comma and word.

The Castaways by Elin Hilderbrand - I'm a big Hilderbrand fan. Blue Bistro is still my favorite by this is a close second.

The Late Bloomers Revolution by Amy Cohen - this is the kind of book that makes me realize if someone could write their mundane story, so could I. It was entertaining - read it in 2 days - but nothing more than a here's-why-I-am-a-crazy-neurotic-New York-Jew-with-issues. Who isn't?

Remember Me? by Sophie Kinsella - entertaining, easy to read, and I love London as a backdrop.

Summer People by Elin Hilderbrand - not as good as he others but enjoyable. I like finding a writer whose collection I haven't read since it's a way to ensure I'll have books for weeks.

Next up:
The Weissmans of Westport by Cathleen Schine - found this through NYTimes Book Review. Also want to read The New Yorkers by her.

Blink by Malcolm Gladwell - I'm going to steal this from CityCrab's nightstand when he's done with it.

The Girl with The Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larson - We've had this book since last summer and I can't help but be intriugued by all the goods press it is getting. It also inhabits CityCrab's nightstand.

What is everyone else reading?

No comments: